1608, June. Capt. John Smith explored Potomac River, stopped at Port Tobacco.

1658. Charles County created by order in council.

1662. St. Ignatius Catholic Church near Port Tobacco, oldest continuously active parish in nation.

1667, Sept. Courthouse opened at "Moore's Lodge."

1680. Zekiah Fort established east of present-day Waldorf near Piney Branch by Gov. Charles Calvert for protection of Piscataways from Susquehannocks and Senecas.

1695. Prince George's County erected from Charles and Calvert counties (Chapter 13, Acts of 1695, May session)

1715, April 3. John Hanson (1715-1783), first President of United States in Congress Assembled elected under Articles of Confederation, born near Port Tobacco.

1723. Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer (1723-1790), signer of U.S. Constitution, born near Port Tobacco.

1730, Aug. 12. New Courthouse at Chandler Town (later Charles Town) opened.

1732. William Smallwood (1732-1792), Governor of Maryland, born at “Smallwood’s Retreat” near Marbury.

1743. Thomas Stone (1743-1787), signer of Declaration of Independence, born at "Poynton Manor".

1750. John Hoskins Stone (1750-1804), Governor of Maryland, born in Charles County.

1751. Benjamin Stoddert (1751-1813), U.S. Secretary of the Navy, born in Charles County.

1789, June 15. Josiah Henson, author, abolitionist, and minister, born in Charles County.

1809, Sept. 27. Raphael Semmes (1809-1877), U.S. Naval officer and later Confederate Naval officer, born in Charles County.

1814, Aug. 19. British fleet from Bemuda sailed up Patuxent River.

1814, Aug. 21. British troops, under Gen. Robert Ross, disembarked at Benedict for attack on Washington, DC.

1814, Aug. 27. British troops re-embarked on British warships at Benedict.

[photo, Restored Charles County Courthouse, Port Tobacco, Maryland] 1821, Sept. New Courthouse at Port Tobacco (formerly Charles Town) opened.

1849. Josiah Henson (1789-1883), former Charles County slave, published his Life.

1861, Oct.-1862, March. Gen. Joseph Hooker's 12,000 Union troops encamped at Indian Head.

Restored Charles County Courthouse, Port Tobacco, Maryland, April 2001. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.

1861, Oct.-1862, March. Gen. Daniel E. Sickles' Union Excelsior Brigade headquartered at Nanjemoy.

1863, Aug. Camp Stanton established at Benedict to recruit and train African Americans for Union Army.

1865, April 14. John Wilkes Booth (1838-1865) assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, escaped with accomplice, David E. Herold (1842-1865) through Prince George's and Charles counties on route to Virginia.

1865, April 21. John Wilkes Booth and David E. Herold rowed from near Newburg across Potomac River to Virginia.

1888. La Plata incorporated.

1888. Port Tobacco incorporated.

1892, Aug. 3. Courthouse at Port Tobacco destroyed by fire.

1895, June 4. Charles County seat moved from Port Tobacco to La Plata.

1896. Courthouse completed at La Plata.

1903, Sept. McDonough Institute opened, first school in County to offer high school education.

1909, April 6. Matthew Henson (1866-1955), of Charles County, reached North Pole with Robert Peary.

1920. Indian Head incorporated.

1924. First Charles County Fair held at Chapel Point.

1926, Nov. 9. Tornado destroyed La Plata elementary school.

1940, Dec. U.S. Route 301, a shorter north - south road through Maryland and Virginia was completed.

[photo, Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge over Potomac River, view from Virginia] 1940, Dec. Potomac River Toll Bridge opened, linking County to Virginia.

1949. Slot machines allowed by law in Charles County (Chapter 678, Acts of 1949).

1952. Benedict Bridge opened across Patuxent River, connecting Charles and Calvert counties.

Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge (formerly Potomac River Toll Bridge) over Potomac River, view from Virginia, October 2010. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.

1958. Charles County Community College opened with evening classes at La Plata High School.

1963. Legislation passed to outlaw slot-machine gambling.

1963, Feb. 8. William Devereux Zantzinger of Charles County fatally caned Hattie Carroll at a charity ball in the Emerson Hotel, Baltimore. Her death later was memorialized by Bob Dylan in "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll."

1964, Dec. 6. Tri-County Council for Southern Maryland created.

1967. Potomac River Bridge renamed Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge.

2000, July 1. College of Southern Maryland established at La Plata.

2002, April 28. Tornado ripped through La Plata.

2004, March 2. Electronic voting system used during primary elections at polling places and for absentee ballots in all counties and Baltimore City.

2008, May 2. Southern Maryland Blue Crabs began playing minor league baseball at Waldorf.

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance

Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright September 29, 2015 Maryland State Archives